Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Armadillo Tattletale???? How do I Make an Armadillo, you say?

I told you guys that I was working on manners this week using Kelly's Mind Your Manners Unit from The First Grade Fairytales....

 and today we read Armadillo Tattletale to help us learn why tattling is not nice.  We watched some videos that Kelly linked us to in her unit and we did some cards where the kids had to tell the difference between TATTLING and TELLING.  It was awesome.  However, I became obsessed this morning with making an armadillo for the kids to make.  I played around for the longest time (while my sweet student teacher, Ms. Lee, was teaching the lesson) and had decided to just give up.  Then Jennifer from The Extra Energetic Educator came in and saw the one I made and insisted that I go ahead and do it.  I am so glad I did because they turned out really cute.  Who knew?!?  (Thanks, Jen!)  Here are some pictures of them working and their final products. They had to write either a tattle or a tell and then circle what they used.  You'll see.




This one was my favorite because yesterday we were finishing up the Peeps from Easter.  Ms. Lee (our student teacher) was the one passing them out.  I thought it was really funny that this student wrote "Ms. Lee ate all of the Peeps."  HAHAHAHA  At least she knew it was tattling!!

If you want a pattern for making these you can grad it for free with the link below!  (Warning!  The tail is a little crookedy looking because I drew it in powerpoint, but it cuts out fine.)  I figure you can either use construction paper and cut the patterns out (on whatever colors you choose) or you can just have the kids color them and cut them out and they can be whatever the kids want them to be!  ENJOY!
Click here for an Armadillo Tattletale Pattern


I also have a new product to share with you today.  It is using the hundreds chart with problems drawn on it to manipulate a number line and then create a number sentence.  I made it for Kelly last night and she thought it was worth sharing.  (Yay for collaboration, feedback, and support!)  I hope that some of you can find it helpful!  There is one free page in the preview in my store.  Check it out!  It will really gear up the brains in your room to have to think really hard to figure them out.


Click HERE to get your preview or purchase the mini-unit from Tpt.  Good night peeps! 

P.S.  My HAPPY tonight came from getting to sing my little tot to sleep.  I used to rock her and sing to her every night, but she hasn't needed that in a really long time now....BUT, she asked for mommy to sing "Rock-a-baby" and Hush "Whittle" Baby for her tonight.  I know....TREASURE THESE MOMENTS.....believe me, I DO!!!  That sweet little thing melts my heart!

Angie




4 comments:

  1. Hey there! I found your blog through First Grade Fairytales. I have to say that I've never thought of armadillos as "cute" but, yours are! I have to check out that book. I've never heard of it! Don't you just love getting the extra time to be extra creative when you have a good student teacher. I have one right now and am loving the extra energy I have. But at the same time, I'm ready to take back over to try out all of my new ideas, LOL.
    Meghan
    First Grade Hugs and High Fives

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I call my student teacher my "mini-me". She and I clicked day one and I was all teary today thinking about how she will be gone in 11 more days! We are doing The Giving Tree her last day and I know I will be a blubbering fool by the time she leaves. She lets me get in there and do stuff from time to time because she knows I'm not patient enough to wait! HAHA Thanks for stopping by! Hope you'll come back soon!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE your armadillos! SO cute!

    Sara
    Primary Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I really did spend like an hour cutting and cutting and cutting and switching colors and tweaking things! I'm sure you know how it goes. I appreciate your comment so much! I love to hear what other people think! Hope you have a terrific night!!

      Angie

      Delete

I would LOVE to hear from you! Leave me your own banana note anytime!