Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Edible Plants

We had so much fun in class this morning!  We are learning about plant needs and plant parts this week so yesterday I headed to the grocery store.  I bought strawberries, bananas, green grapes, purple grapes, avacado, sunflower seeds, broccoli, cucumber, bell pepper, celery, cucumber, asparagus, carrots, peanuts, and an assortment of organic leaves (for a salad).  I also added in an old potato I had sprouting at home.  I wanted to give them a big variety of plants to explore making sure that every edible part of the plant was covered.  The kids were so excited!!!  Even I was so excited!!
First we talked about what each plant is and what PART of the plant it is that we eat.  Then I let them choose from an asparagus or celery STEM, we had carrots for ROOTS, broccoli for FLOWERS, sunflower seeds for SEEDS, several leaves from the salad assortment for LEAVES, and their choice of grapes, strawberries, or bananas for FRUIT.  They went to town making their little plant creations.  Once they finished I gave them labels to lay on their paper to show what the parts are.  After I got some pictures I let them eat any of it that they wanted.  I couldn't believe how much they ate!  


 My FAVORITE!!


While they were eating I cut up the bell pepper, cucumber, and avocado so they could see what was inside them.  They even ate ALL of that!  All in all I think it was a really awesome project!  And a yummy one to boot!!!

Oh, one more thing.  We also did this little color/cut/paste activity from Lita Lita.  It was really cute and they enjoyed slowing down and doing some coloring after all the excitement died down!  Wonderful day!


post signature

1 comment:

  1. Angie: This is an awesome post! If I had a five-year-old, they would definitely enjoy your class. Have you ever heard of the song "Go Bananas!" by The Kerplunks? It's really funny, and I have a feeling you would love it. If you'd like to stop by my blog and pick up some freebies, please do!

    Your latest follower,

    Sharon Dudley, NBCT
    Teaching with Sight

    ReplyDelete

I would LOVE to hear from you! Leave me your own banana note anytime!