Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Crazy times, Alligators, and Pirates!

OMG!  I haven't blogged in like forever!!  I'm sorry, but things have been crazy.  The end of the school year brings on so much excitement, but also SO MUCH PAPERWORK!!!  PLUS, I was spoiled having Millie with me and now that she's gone I'm playing catch-up.  Well, I finished DIBELS and STAR yesterday and spent a great deal of time today working on POI (pyramid of intervention) folders while trying to work on memory books and keep the kids satisfied (AND without getting to use the printer because it was offline for TWO WHOLE DAYS).  The printer is fixed now, thank the Lord, but still...so much more to do.

Anyways, you know I get get winded, but I wanted to share something very special to me.  We started our memory books and today they wrote three things about themselves and three things they learned about their Troop Leader (that's ME) this year.  Here is the one that melted my heart.  #3 She is the best teacher and is super fun too.  Gotta love it!
For Mother's Day we took a little daycation to Okeefenokee Swamp (my choice) even though it was over 2 hours away.  It was an AWESOME trip and we went at the perfect time...before the biting flies and bugs come out and start eating you!!  This momma alligator swam right up to the boat (we were in the front seat) and lead us to where her babies were swimming around.  I tell you...awesome.  Here are some of the pics from there....
 Sweety
 My little family!
Having a little fun with Ol Roy!  
It was amazing that as soon as we stepped out of the car there was a gator roaming the parking lot.  Had to keep my two little "gator bites" close!!  LOL

We started out the week this week reading How I Became a Pirate.  We did Kelly's (First Grade Fairytales) Treasure Chest of Cause and Effect (in groups) and then we made adorable little pirates.  Click HERE to grab her Cause and Effect activity! She has the link to the pattern for the pirates too, but it was kind of small so I just drew them a little bigger when we did it.
To add a little more to it I let them have some paper to make a treasure map on.  Then they wrote about it.  The topic was:  "What is in your hidden treasure?  Where can we find it?  How long has it been hidden?  What will you give me if I help you find it?"
Some just wrote about pirates and treasures (of course), but these did me proud!!

I also added a little category word work as well.  I grabbed some pirates from MyCuteGraphics.com and added them to these sheets.  Each student in the class had a different category to write at least five words for.  
 
If you would like the writing papers or the category papers you can click HERE to get them for FREE.  There are also some pages for making numbers with Messages in a Bottle.  Don't have a pic of those, but if you grab it you'll see what I mean.  Would love to hear what you think!  Hope you'll come back to visit me soon!!
post signature

1 comment:

  1. I'm in love with the writing sheets. I can't wait to add those to my centers. Perfect for word practice and some Common Core review. Thanks! :)

    Kelly
    First Grade Fairytales

    ReplyDelete

I would LOVE to hear from you! Leave me your own banana note anytime!