Friday, November 1, 2013

Five for Friday...Chocolate Wasted!!!

Well we made it to another Friday and I am linking up with DoddleBugs Teaching's for Five for Friday!  
This has been a WILD week.  It was Red Ribbon Week at our school, we had Halloween, I started up my Facebook page for my blog, and we celebrated Charlie & the Chocolate Factory "Wild for Wonka" style.  On top of all that I lost my voice on Monday afternoon and have JUST THIS AFTERNOON started to be able to talk again.  (I may have even sat in another classroom during planning yesterday crying because I can't talk - I know, PITIFUL!  - She gave me a straw so I could "suck it up!")  Anyways, here goes!!

We were so wrapped up in WONKA world that I almost forgot about Halloween.  However, we did manage to carve the pumpkin "just in time" and get all dressed up to go out.  Here is a picture of my heart.  (And by the way, I showed her how to stand and told her to go lean like that against the tree....she did it without the tree...what can I say?)
GOD I LOVE that face!!!!!!

VERY, VERY random, but we have 10 chickens in our backyard and I just thought it was amazing that we got 14 eggs in one day this week.  Plus it's super cool that we can take them out and pet them too!  This is Atlanta.
 Last weekend I blogged about all the Willy Wonka stuff we have been doing in our classroom the last couple of weeks and here are just a couple more things we did this week.
 Totaled 173 gobstoppers after we sorted, and then counted by 1, 2, 5, and 10.  Then we got to eat them up.
I put all the words on index cards and as groups they put them in ABC order.  Then they recorded their words on their papers.  This worked out really well and they had fun doing it!
We also wrote sentences about each ticket winner using the anchor charts that we made in class.  I totally forgot to snap a pic of those to share though...

If you are interested in any Charlie & the Chocolate Factory activities I made you can click the picture below to head over to my store and grab them.  

Without a voice this week I learned to be thankful for what my kids CAN read!!  I would type something on the Smart Board and then clap-clap-clap clap clap and POINT to the board and they would all read the directions of what I needed them to do, and the menu, and when to line up, etc.  I "whisper" taught as much as I could, but they really did do a lot of educational centers this week as well cause it took a lot out of me.  Anyways, on the first day that I couldn't talk I was standing up "whisper" teaching and noticed one of my students with these glasses on.  I took them, and then borrowed them, and taught the rest of the lesson with them on. You can bet I had their full attention that way.  It's the little things people, the little things....
OK, here is the GRAND FINALE of my Wonka Week!!!  I am so excited to share it!  I got the idea for the massive Venn Diagram from my friend Stacy at Funky Fresh Firsties and was SO happy that I did it.  Since we read the whole novel and have been talking so much about VISUALIZATION, we watched the movie to put real pictures to what we have been reading about.  The kids were super PUMPED, and so was I!  We started the movie and would pause at different points when they noticed something that was the SAME or something that was DIFFERENT than in the book.  We wrote it up on this Venn Diagram.  I think they did an AMAZING job!  It made the movie watching time a lot longer than typically, but it was worth it to me, and to them.


 The same cool parent that brought us the HUGE chocolate bar also gave us the cool Wonka sign!
Then FINALLY the time was here for me to get to open this FIVE POUND bar of chocolate that I've been looking at for a week.  And let me tell you, it was SOOOOOOO YUMMY!!!!!  Wish I could have shared it with all of you!  We had lots of chocolate, some Wonka candy and regular candy, some strawberries and blueberries, and Fizzy Lifting Drinks (Sprite).  The kids had a blast and I am still recovering at the moment.

That's it for me friends!  OH, I totally forgot!!  I wanted to offer up a FREEBIE to the first 5 people to comment on my blog!  I made a large packet of math centers for Thanksgiving.  If you are interested, leave me a comment with your email address and I will send it your way.  If you want to check it out you can click the picture below.
Have a SUPER restful weekend and enjoy that extra hour that you get tomorrow night!

Angie

6 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a blast this week despite losing your voice! Glad you are starting to feel better! I would LOVE your Thanksgiving centers! Thanks for being so generous! Have a great relaxing weekend! :-)

    Karyn
    Kideducator@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the sweet comment! Your centers have been sent! Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. What a fun unit! :-) 5 pound chocolate bar... WOW!!!!

    imgoingfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a lot of fun, and I didn't realize chocolate that big really existed!!! LOL Your centers have been emailed to you. I hope you enjoy them!

      Delete
  3. Such a busy week!
    kcahcrim@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally just got back home after going to see my son's art displayed in the town art gallery tonight. Finally ready to crawl into bed. Thanks for your comment and interest in my centers! They have been emailed to you!

      Delete

I would LOVE to hear from you! Leave me your own banana note anytime!