Saturday, August 23, 2014

Goldilocks & Greater Than Jan, Less Than Stan, and Equal to Lou

This week we had a blast with the story Goldilocks and the Three Bears.  I found this emergent reader at Tpt for FREE from Can Do Kinders.  It was JUST RIGHT for what we were doing this week. (Click the pic if you want to grab it too!)
On Monday we Echo Read the story, on Tuesday we Choral Read the story and on Wednesday we Partner Read the story...
 
 
They LOVED every minute of it and felt SOOOO successful!  I was amazed at how wonderfully they read with a partner since this was our first time.  They were all engaged and all reading!!  It was a beautiful sight!  Anyways, on Thursday I gave them some retelling picture cards that I found in this packet from First Grade Blue Skies.  It had some AMAZING stuff in it and we used a ton of it. 
The retelling cards were perfect and the kids had so much fun telling me the story in their own words.  They loved moving Goldilocks from place to place and even retold with expression (some even used the voices for Papa Bear, Mama Bear, and Baby Bear).  It was precious!!!!
 
There were some graphing sheets (Who was your favorite character? & Do you think Goldilocks should have gone into the house?), some labeling sheets for each character, a character description sheet, some math centers, and so much more in the packet.  Click on the picture of the product above if you'd like to go check it out.  It was worth the money to me!!
Next I found something WONDERFUL!!  Have you ever watched any videos from Cool School?????  I found it on youtube and it had modern day versions of many fairy tales told by Ms. Booksy, a librarian.  She goes INTO the story and it's just as cute as can be.  Click below to check out Goldilocks and the Three Bears with her.
We watched a few of her videos to finish up our fairy tale unit and the room was S.I.L.E.N.T. they loved her so much!!!  It was cool to get a different version of some of the stories that they had been hearing the last couple of weeks.

The other big thing we did this week was Greater than/Less than/and Equal to.  Mario, my awesome student teacher, made some REALLY BIG gator mouths to show the signs.  He created Equal to Lou, Greater Than Jan and her twin brother Less Than Stan (both love to eat the biggest numbers).  The kids thought they were awesome and they now look great on my wall (which I forgot to get a full picture of).  
 
We used smaller versions that I'd made a couple years ago for the kids to actually manipulate the sign and turn it the right way.  It was great and they were all really engaged.  When the worksheets came out we were really able to see who "got it" and who didn't.  Those sweet babies that didn't get it will get more practice next week in a small group.  
 
Plus we will use my gator clips (from Dollar Tree two years ago) to play Greater Gator (just like WAR).  If you'd like to get the Greater Gator cards that go up to 120, for free, click HERE.  

Well, it's been a busy week and now we are gearing up for Folktales for the next couple of weeks.  Mario and I have been slaving away making really big versions of each of the characters to display for the kids. More to come on that later.  Hope you all have a wonderful and relaxing weekend! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would LOVE to hear from you! Leave me your own banana note anytime!